We all have that one room in our house where we store all of the old belongings that we never use anymore. Whether it’s your attic, office, or garage, the accumulation of clutter can render the room unusable before you know it. If this sounds familiar, then it’s time for you to start purging some of these items. The best place to take them is your local Goodwill center. In this piece, we answer some of your key questions surrounding Goodwill: what it is, why you should donate, and where you can find them.
What Is Goodwill?
Goodwill is the shorthand for Goodwill Industries International. It is a non-profit organization specializing in educational and workplace-related services. It works to enhance people’s sense of dignity and their quality of life. It does so by bolstering communities, eliminating barriers to various opportunities, and helping people reach their full potential.
Why Should I Donate to Goodwill?
There are countless reasons to donate to your local Goodwill. Some of these include:
- Helping others – You may have no use for your older possessions, but someone else could potentially benefit from them. That old dining table you don’t want could be the new setting of countless family dinners for a less fortunate family.
- Creating jobs – As long as donation centers are continuously receiving items, they’ll need to hire more staff to keep up with the demand. The more you donate, the more jobs you’re creating for people in your local community.
- Sustainability – By donating your goods instead of throwing them away, you’re keeping waste out of landfills. Not only is donating good for your conscience, but it’s also good for the environment.
- Getting tax deductions – When you bring your belongings to a donation center, you can request a donation receipt, which you can then file with your tax return. You may be eligible to receive a tax deduction on the donation, which means more money in your pocket.
What Can I Donate to Goodwill?
Goodwill donation centers will accept a wide variety of donation types. Below are just some of the examples of donations accepted by the organization:
- Accessories (jewelry, handbags, and more)
- Small appliances
- CDs and DVDs
- Sports equipment
However, there are limitations on donations. Some examples of goods that are not accepted for donations include:
- Broken or damaged items that need repairs
- Stained items
- Swing sets
- Kids’ swimming pools
- Air conditioners
- Mattresses and box springs
- Big appliances (i.e. stoves, washers, dryers)
- Motor vehicles of any kind
Where Is the Goodwill Drop-off in Houston, Texas?
There are a few Goodwill drop-off locations in Houston, giving you plenty of options for donating your items. Some of the most popular locations in the area include:
- Goodwill at 2318 S Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77019, United States
- Goodwill at 915 N Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77008, United States
- Goodwill at 8721 Stella Link Rd, Houston, TX 77025, United States
- Goodwill at 5256, 3729 W Alabama St A, Houston, TX 77027, United States
- Goodwill at 5783 Woodway Dr, Houston, TX 77057, United States
With the help of this guide, you should have all the information you need to make donations to your local Goodwill. When you do, you’ll be able to clear your home and your mind, along with giving back to your community in a major way.
Featured Image by Pexels